This Help Desk article covers how to set up and customize our Newsletter Pop Up plugin for WordPress sites.
2. Once installed, go to Appearance > Customize and look for the EmPress Pop Up tab. Settings for this plugin live here, but before you customize further, we recommend logging into your MailChimp account, so that you have your newsletter code at the ready.
3. In MailChimp, let’s build your MailChimp form. From your MailChimp dashboard, navigate to the Audience tab. On the right side of the Audience landing page, click the Manage Audience dropdown. Select Signup Forms, then select Embedded Forms. Under the Embedded Forms section title, you will see a series of tabbed labels. Select Unstyled. Here is a short video showing you this process:
5. Important: UNCHECK Include form title, Show interest group fields, Show required field indicators, and Show format options. Check off/SELECT Show only required fields. This should be the only option checked off. Here is a short video showing these options:
6. Copy the embed code over on the right. This is the code that begins with <!– Begin MailChimp Signup Form –>
7. Click back over to your Customizer, with the EmPress Pop Up tab loaded. Click on Content Options.
8. Paste the MailChimp code into the Subscription Form Code box. Hit Publish. Important: Doing this will publicize any other changes you have made in the Customizer! However, you will need to publish your form code if you want to preview your pop-up, as displayed on the previous page.
9. Exit the Customizer completely, then return to it by going to Appearance > Customize. Now that the form code has committed, you should be able to see your pop-up in the Customizer Preview.
10. Now, back in Content Options, enter a Title and Description for the pop-up. A title might be something like “Subscribe to my newsletter”; a description might be something like “Sign up to receive weekly newsletters and sale alerts.” You can also upload an optional image to appear in the pop-up (note that it will appear to the left of the content). You can also set how often your readers will see the pop-up here.
11. If at any time you find that your changes are not reflected in the preview, simply save your progress, exit the Customizer and re-enter. Once back, head to EmPress Pop Up again. Now, upon clicking the tab, you should see a preview of what the pop-up looks like. Click on Styling Options to adjust the appearance of your pop-up. You can select an Overlay Color (the flood of opaque color laid over all your site content, but behind the popup), the pop-up’s background color, an optional pop-up background image, and the text, input, and button colors for the pop-up.